Today is day 4 of my working full-time. This week has certainly been a huge adjustment for me, but it’s actually gone way better than I expected it to.
Just a little backstory for ya’ll – I started looking for a job just to see what was out there on September 29th. I was not looking for a job any earlier than that. So the fact that I am already employed… Well, I was totally not planning on that. I thought I’d have a job in a few weeks, not a few days! So considering that I wasn’t really prepared for a full-time job to slam me this week but I am still functioning is like, amazing.
I may be functioning, but I’m pretty sure I look like this most the time.
That’s my brain overload/I’m tired/is this real life work face.
Anyway, some random thoughts about working so far…
- I forgot how hard it is to workout at 5:30-6 AM. Weights? OMG it’s like they weigh twice as much and my body does not work. What the heck.
- My brain basically feels like it’s going to explode every day when I get home. It’s kind of hard for me to stop thinking about work stuff. I want to catch on quickly so sometimes I think about it all at home.
- The people in my office are really nice!
- I’ve liked dressing in business clothes for the week. I wasn’t too sure how the transition from jeans and a t-shirt everyday to slacks and dress shirts would be, but it’s been good.
- Today is my last day of training before I”m on my own next week. And I actually feel like I can do my job on my own, kind of.
- I wear my glasses a lot at work since I’m constantly reading and on the computer. It’s been quite the adjustment for my eyes.
My New Schedule
So, since taking this job, my schedule has completely shifted. I work 8AM-5PM. My schedule right now looks like this:
- 5:30 AM – wake up, use jaws of life and the will of God to get me out of bed, get in workout clothes
- 5:45-6:45ish AM – workout
- 6:45-7:30 AM get ready, eat breakfast, get packed up for work
- 7:40 AM – leave no later than this
- 7:55 – 8 AM – arrive at work
- 8-5 PM – work!
So far, I’ve made that whole wake up 5:30 AM thing and workout happen three times this week. Not bad for my first week. I just couldn’t get with it on Tuesday but worked out in the afternoon instead. I definitely need to make some tweaks to this schedule as time goes on, but for now it’s worked out well.
Considering I am not a morning person at all and I’ve managed to get up well before I have to leave for work is like, an act of God. Really. I actually mean that, but more on that tomorrow 😉
Honestly, the first two days of work felt really weird and long. But since I’ve gotten the hang of things better, work actually felt quite normal yesterday. I’m so glad I am slowly but surely settling in.
Some things that have really helped me out this week are planning everything in advance. I pack my lunch the night before. I plan my outfit the night before too. I tidy up the house before I go to bed. I blog the night before if I can for the next few days. Another thing that’s helped me so much that I’ve been meaning to share on the blog is this bag.
It’s the perfect work bag (from 31 Gifts). It has so many compartments, holds everything, and it’s cute. There’s basically nothing better to me than a functional bag that actually looks good.
And off to work I go! See ya!
Questions for You:
- What was the biggest shock to you about your current job?
- What makes your brain feel like applesauce? For me, it’s trying to listen but also process everything at the same time. A lot of that = applesauce brain for me.