I’m not sure I ever blogged about what was in my hospital bag the first time (at least I can’t find the post if I did!). I remember as a first time mom looking a lot of stuff up on Pinterest or whatnot to make sure I had all the “good stuff” packed.
I’m feeling much more confident about it going into it a second time, but also less stressed too. Because if I forget something – really, you’re only there a few days max and you can always get someone to bring you something should it be that important. I don’t find this topic all that exciting, but having BTDT before, I figure if someone is looking for ideas, why not share what I’m packing. Everyone has different tastes and I liked looking through these posts when I was pregnant before.
Here’s what I plan to bring with me. I say “plan” because in reality half of this stuff is used on a daily basis, so I’m slightly worried I might not have time to actually pack it ahead of actually going into labor!
True story: I went into labor with Claire at about 10pm on a Tuesday night. I hadn’t slept all night and decided to wake my husband up at about 1 AM. By 4 AM we were getting ready to go the hospital and that is when my bag was fully packed. And even then, we forgot something really important and had to turn back and go home for it – hah! I hope we have a little more time to pack things this time!
- Phone charger
- DSLR camera & accessories
- Headphones (to listen to Hypnobabies)
- Essential oils – specifically my Serenity blend & lavender
- Essential oil diffuser
- My own nightgown (actually the same one I gave birth to Claire in! Maybe it’s good luck!)
- Grippy socks & other socks
- Comfy PJ pants & loose-fitting tops
- Some snack bars & fruit squeeze pouches to munch on during/after labor
- My own pillow & a blanket
- A gift for Claire
- Change of clothes for my husband
- my own towel –> heard the hospitals are super small and scratchy!
- simple make up: BB cream, mascara, lip gloss, chap stick
- face moisturizer & face wash
- head bands & hair ties
- Disposable adult diapers –> yup, I am going there! I don’t want to mess with the mesh undies and giant pads this time! A lot of second/third time moms recommended this to me, so why not.
- Tooth brush, tooth paste, & floss
- Tucks pads & flushable wipes
- Disposable nursing pads
- Nursing tank top
- Hand pump –> really would have come in handy last time since hand expressing milk was not cutting it with engorgement
- Nursing pillow
- Some burp cloths
- Nipple shield –-> not sure if my hospital provides this, but I needed one last time and it was a life-saver
- Four outfits –> I plan to put Stella in her own clothes right away as I didn’t like the way-too-big and awkward fitting shirts the hospital provided last time. I didn’t realize it was an option to have more than just a homecoming outfit. I think she’ll be in just a diaper and swaddled most the time anyway or hanging out on me skin-to-skin, but in case we want outfits, I’ll have them.
- Wubbanub –> I’m not exactly sure if I want to introduce a paci at the hospital, but mine doesn’t provide pacifiers. I just want it as an option should we need it.
- Our own swaddle blankets –> again, I didn’t like how scratchy the hospitals were last time & I love how cute some of our swaddle blankets are 🙂
- Newborn headbands, mittens, & socks
- Baby milestone cards to take pictures with
- Baby wipes & newborn size diapers for going home
- The car seat, of course
This time around, I am pretty much bringing the same things as last time with the addition of a few extra things of our own instead of having to rely on the hospitals. I think last time, I just didn’t realize that you could easily bring your own stuff and not have to rely on things that didn’t feel like yours.
I also heard from other moms in the area that the particular hospital I am going to is kind of stingy with supplies or just flat-out don’t provide some things. So some of these items may not make sense for others to pack, but I know our hospital doesn’t provide certain things like pacifiers, etc.
I can’t believe in a few short weeks that I’ll be on the other side of this and have a new baby again!
Questions for You:
- Did you have a bag packed and ready to go, or was it thrown together last-minute?
- If you were in the hospital for any amount of time, what’s one thing you’d want to have of your own?