I’m moving in just a few days. Actually, we fly to Hawaii a week from today! It’s really starting to set in. All that people are asking me right now is how packing is going, so I thought I’d share what I’m actually packing.
In case you missed this post about some of the details of this move, we are going to be living out a hotel or possibly a furnished apartment for however long it takes us to find a house. We hope to buy a house and have started that process by getting a loan and working with a realtor, but there’s a possibility we won’t find the right home and will just rent. Our things are also going to take a few months to arrive. So what I’m packing here needs to last me a while!
I didn’t photograph every little thing I’m bringing, but a few things so you can get the idea. We did tons of organizing and packing this weekend. Here’s what I came up with.
In My Carry On
If you’re my friend on SnapChat (username: melsher31), I most likely asked you which bag I should bring as my carry on. I was having serious bag woes. I don’t like “committing” to a bag for a long time, but I’m not gonna be silly and bring multiple purses right now.
So I went with my (very fake) Neverfull because it’s just so freaking huge. Annnd when I tried to fit everything in my back up purse, it didn’t fit!
In my carry on is…
- my planner (cannot live without)
- a make up bag with the essentials: oil blotting cloths, glasses cleaner, Advil, perfume (D&G Light Blue), etc.
- For the Love by Jen Hatmaker – been on my list to read forever
- An “adult” coloring book and colored pencils
- sunglasses, of course
- body spray in a fun beachy scent I haven’t used in a while
Unpictured is my reading glasses, camera, & a water bottle. I’m honestly not bringing much even thought the flight is long because every time I bring a ton to do on a plane I never do it. Add to it that I’ll be entertaining my one year old the whole time, it’s safe to say this is plenty to keep me occupied, should she ever nap.
In My Beach Bag
I have never had a real beach bag. This whole beach thing is pretty new to me, but I’m excited.
- Chevron beach bag from Target (was on sale for $8, score!)
- Ombre towel from Target
- Patterned dress for an easy cover up (Wal-mart, of all places)
- A good beach read
- Hawaiian Tropic SPF 30 lotion
- sunglasses, again
- “We run this Beach” water bottle from VS, had to have it
- OLD swim suit of mine but one I feel like is good for my mom bod. Not a tankini but has a skirt bottom instead to keep that booty in line 😉
- Leather sandals also from Target
I also have two other cover ups, but am planning on just using comfy dresses like the one above to walk down to the pool/beach. I have one extra towel for me (we’re bringing four total), and three other bikinis (although God knows if I fit into them).
Clothes I’m Packing
I am soooo thankful that Hawaii is warm and temperate year round. It makes packing so much easier. I am trying to pack really light and just mix and match everything so my suitcase isn’t a constant explosion.
I’m relying on really easy-to-wear clothes like printed shorts and soft t-shirts and tons of maxi dresses.
I’m also trying to go minimal on jewelry. I’m not a big jewelry person anyway, but I want to bring at least some. I’m bringing stuff that won’t get ruined/gross by water or sand.
- T-shirt – Target
- Shorts – “Hot Gal” at Wet Seal
- Sandals – Target
- Maxi Dress – Athleta
- Alex & Ani bangles
- Mama & Little necklace and bracelet
I have mostly dresses, comfy t-shirts and tanks, shorts, a few skirts, a handful of sandals, running shoes, TOMs, & almost all my workout clothes – because that I couldn’t part with. 😉
My favorite part of this whole process was picking out things for Claire. Hawaiian style prints and pineapples seem to be really in style for little girl clothing right now, at least between Carter’s and Target. So I basically got her all the Hawaiian/Pineapple things. They’re just too cute!
I’m bringing her…
- four swim suits + a reusable swim diaper (I hope it works)
- three hats
- all her onesies, shorts, leggings, and tops that fit right now
- two sweatshirts (for the plane, if it’s chilly in the hotel)
- 2 pairs of tennis shoes and 1 pair of sandals
- lots of sippy cups/travel friendly snacks/formula/bibs/plates/spoons
- pack n play
- a few blankets
- a few books & toys
I feel like I want to pack ALL her things, but I know it would just weigh us down. I chose not to bring hardly any toys for the plane because I feel like we’d bring them and she wouldn’t even care for them.
I did get her some Crayola color wonder markers and a book to see if that interests her and we will have a few of her favorite toys and books, but that’s it. We’ll get more of her toys in a shipment in a month and hopefully in the mean time she is entertained by them and whatever is in my purse.
Other Random Things
- My own coffee mug
- Protein powder
- Shaker bottle + extra water bottles
- Extra books
- random medications just in case
- beach towels
- drying pad for C’s bottles
And there you have it! We are trying to fit all our things into three suit cases (one for each of us), a backpack, my purse, and the diaper bag.
It’s so weird to think I’ll only have with me what I can bring on the plane for about a month until our first shipment. It’s also really freeing to not be weighed down by stuff. All this packing has made me realize what I really want to keep around, and it’s truthfully not much. I’ve been throwing stuff into the donate pile left and right!
I’m beyond excited to be heading to Hawaii soon!
Questions for You:
- What couple of items would you most definitely pack if you were moving?
- What do you normally do on a flight?