This post is going to be a little random and a little healthy. First, the random.
Beans is doing well. It’s been 3 weeks since he broke his leg. He is seriously acting like everything is fine. He tries to jump and run every chance he gets. It drives me insane, but what can I do.
I’ve noticed that he’s gained some weight since starting his new diet, but he was a tad underweight before, so I think that’s okay.
We are waiting until 4-5 weeks to go back to the vet for x-rays. They just charge so much every time to be seen (like $75+ just to walk in the door), so I want to wait until it’s really necessary and he’s actually (hopefully) healed enough to show that on an x-ray.
Last night, he enjoyed being my little blogging buddy passed out on the couch. I’m pretty sure all is well in his world.
I have been getting sooo hot lately. Yesterday it was about 95 degrees. That is like way beyond my limit. I am good until about 75 and then I just hate it. Call me a baby, but I grew up in Colorado where 75 was hot!
I’ve actually been so hot though that I haven’t been sleeping well. My house does not have AC, although my bedroom has a fan. All last night I tossed and turned and didn’t get any sleep because I was so hot and uncomfortable.
My hands and feet have also been really swollen and hot at night. I normally never take my ring off, but I’ve been leaving it off any time I’m home, which is so weird to me. It’s probably because I’m eating too much sodium, along with it being humid. I drink tons of water, though!
Lately at night, I’ve been taking a cold wet cloth and wiping my feet down and then putting this lotion on them. It’s a gel lotion with a cooling effect and feels good. And smells amazing!
I feel like I’ve gotten my groove back with blogging. I’m not sure what changed, but I feel much more inspired again and like I can make time for the blog. I know I will never have as much as I did before I started my current job, but I think I can start managing both my job and the blog better together now. 🙂
New Health Goals
I was inspired by Kim’s post yesterday about wanting to get back on track with healthy, and realized that I really need to put some health goals out there for myself.
I would generally call myself healthy and my diet healthier than the average American, but I’ve really been letting things slip. This last weekend eating out a bunch definitely did not help.
I actually find that summer is the time of year I gain weight over the holidays or winter because I’m out doing more with less time to cook at home. It’s easy to want to stay in and make a meal in winter because it’s cold and there’s nothing else to do. But I’ve been camping, socializing with friends, going out on the town, etc. It’s really starting to add up.
Since it’s been so hot lately too, my workouts have been suffering. I was going to the gym early in the morning with a co-worker, but that was really just so I could use the treadmill in winter months. Now the only time I can run is before work, which is seldom been happening.
Some changes I desire right now are:
- Get into a solid workout routine. Because it’s been so hot lately, I’ve been letting my workouts slide with the excuse that I’m too hot, as said above. I know I need to hop to it though! I’m signing up for the BAA Half Marathon next week, which will give me motivation to get running regularly again. I also just got my bike back, so I plan to make use of that as much as possible.
- Track my food with MyFitnessPal. This doesn’t work for everyone, but it really does work for me when I use it right. I don’t get obsessive with it or want to be right at the calorie marks, but just use it as a rough guideline to realize when I’m getting out of control.
- Eat larger breakfasts and lunches & limit mindless snacking. Although tracking helps, sometimes I get so into calories that I eat too few during breakfast and lunch, which always leads me to a big snack bomb in the afternoon. And once I start snacking, sometimes I just keep snacking and eat all my calories left for the day in snacks, with no room for dinner.
- Limit sweets. I will never limit sweets altogether because that backfires hugely for me, but I have noticed lately that when I’m getting hungry, I will go for chocolate chips or a sugary snack bar over anything else. I want to break this habit and crave veggies or other healthy things over sugar.
I did make an attempt on Sunday to do some meal prep and stock up on fruits and veggies for the week. I find that it’s just too easy to settle for a frozen burrito because all my salad has gone bad.
I know if I take some time to make a conscious effort in these areas, I can see improvement. Even after just one day of healthy eating after some very not healthy eating over the weekend, I feel a lot better!
Questions for You:
- What health goal are you focusing on right now?
- Do you tend to eat healthier in summer or a different season?