So I’m probably going to burst a lot of your happy sunny summer bubbles, but… summer is just not my thing. For most of the summer, I’ve been feeling quite glum.
I’ve been trying to figure out why I’m not having a grand ole time this summer and came up with a few reasons.
1. I idealized “Summer Life” way too much.
The beach, the sun, getting tan! All things I love – and all things that are not happening right now. I associate summer with lots of leisure time and enjoyable things like taking a lot of time off, vacation, being out when it’s nice.
But summer is really no different from any other time of the year. I am still working, I still have all the same demands on my life. So why would I get more time off to go to the beach and tan?
My expectations have just not been realistic, which has been hurting my general view of summer.
2. I don’t like the heat. At all.
75 degrees is hot to me. Anything above that, I am like… okay, when is fall? I just can’t do it, so I’ve been pretty miserable all summer.
This heat? Noooo thanks.
My house does not have AC so I am often sweating all night long and not sleeping well. It’s also been pretty miserable to train this summer too. I am ready for cooler weather to return!
3. I’m busier than usual.
The days are longer (or at least seem like it), which gives me the false sense that I can get up and stay up later, which means I am doing too much. I’m training again, super swamped at work, and my friend just moved in with her dog!
Life just does not feel quiet right now. Life is good, but it’s not that fun and peaceful summer that I had hoped for.
4. Beans broke his legs.
Obviously I’m not blaming Beans here, but the whole situation has put a damper on my summer for sure. When he broke the first leg, we felt really bad for him and wanted to stay in as much as possible. Now that he’s home in recovery, it’s the same deal. I can’t take him anywhere for weeks until he’s better.
I envisioned us going on walks every day and taking him to the dog park a lot. It’s just not an option right now, which has been making me sad. I feel like not only am I missing out on summer, but he is too!
5. I haven’t been living in the moment.
Lately, I’ve been living in worry, endless to do lists, chores, and just generally being unhappy. I haven’t taken the time to just acknowledge that I can’t do it all, so I shouldn’t try.
I need time to relax. Some days, I just want to stop doing and read a book or really enjoy snuggling with Beans. But I continue to work myself up until I go to bed.
This isn’t something that’s specific to summer, but it seems like this tendency is increased in the summer for some reason.
Changes for the Rest of Summer
I’m not saying any of this to complain or make it seem like my summer has been awful; I just want to be real! I do want to make a few small changes to make the rest of my summer a little more enjoyable, though.
- Adjust my expectations: lately I want it to “feel like summer” or to get a lot done each day just because it feels like I have extra time, but I don’t. I just need to chill and realize that summer is just like every other time of year.
- Do something relaxing and/or “summery” each week for myself. Ex: give myself a pedicure, read in the backyard, take a quick walk.
- Take at least 15-30 minutes a day to really focus on the Lord, read a devotional, write in my prayer journal and just refocus my mind. I have been neglecting this far too much lately!
Questions for You:
- Is summer “your thing” right now or not?
- What about this summer is different than you thought it would be?