Hey guys! How was your New Year’s weekend?
I admittedly did just about nothing. Hubby came down with something and has been sick for a couple of days. I also started to get it too, so we slept, ate, and watched a lot of movies on the couch. Not too bad, but it wasn’t the productive weekend I was envisioning for the start of 2015.
I have actually written today’s post about 3 times and kept erasing it. I think my pregnant brain combined with the idea of setting goals and bettering myself is just like mental explosion for me and I can’t handle it right now. But I am going to try again in hopes that it somehow makes sense to both of us!
I want to talk about self-care today & the focus I am going to adopt before baby gets here. According to my pregnancy app, I have about 100 days left until my due date – that’s really not long! I want to use this pre-baby time to focus on myself so when she does come, I don’t feel like I just burned myself into the ground before one of the biggest shifts in my life.
For self-care pre-baby, I want to focus on…
1. Quiet, restful time – aka anti-stressing. I have been spending way too much time upping my stress levels instead of lowering them. Cue the warm hot baths, face masks, and nights getting lost in a good book.
No, I can’t guarantee I will have a blissfully perfect existence before baby arrives and that’s not my goal. I just want my focus to be on this much more than it has been. Rest is usually something I reserve for when “everything is done,” which, in case you didn’t know, is never. I need to rest now while I can.
I definitely got my rest in over the weekend. We were sleeping like 12 hours every night, thanks to being sick. I’m also in the middle of this book I’m reading for my January book club.
Very good so far!
2. Eating Healthy – I eat okay, but the holidays did not do me any favors in this department. In fact, I have been eating so bad that the only thing I can think to stomach is healthy food.
This isn’t rocket science. I just need to get back to basics and meal plan before every work week, grocery shop, and food prep.
Here is this week’s meal plan:
And in case you can’t read that, for dinners we are having:
- Black Bean, pepper, & onion quesadillas
- Butternut squash & lentil crock pot soup
- Sweet Potato Black Bean veggie burgers
- Homemade white pizza (with this dough recipe) & sun-dried tomatoes & onions
3. Exercise that Excites Me – I already shared my thoughts on balancing fitness and pregnancy. It hasn’t been easy, but it’s not like I stopped working out altogether. Overall, I feel like I’m in a rut just because I’m out of habit with it. Working out is not a joy anymore but just kind of blah when it happens.
When I was training for races, I was always motivated because I had a specific training plan and a race to show up to run. While I’m not running anymore (and have officially decided I’m done with running until post-baby), I need some new motivation. I’m not working towards anything, so I’m just not working.
I went out on a limb this weekend and got Beach Body’s PiYo by Chalene Johnson, which is a yoga and pilates mixed workout. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it, and most importantly that it’s a low-impact workout. I also found a few posts from women who had specifically done PiYo while pregnant & said they loved it.
So I figured, why not try it out, and if it doesn’t work out too well, I can at least have it in my stash for post-baby workouts to go to. I know I’ll have to make some modifications, but I’m excited to start this program today!
None of this is earth-shattering amazing or anything, but it’s where I’m at right now. Self-care is one of my only goals this year before Baby Bee arrives, and I want to make it count but do so without totally wearing myself out. So far, I am feeling good. I think I also really need to check in the blog more often about how this is going – so keep me accountable, okay?
I hope you have a good first full week of the year! Toodle loo!
Questions for You:
- If self-care is on your list of goals for this year, what are you planning on doing?
- Is it hard for you to focus on all the aspects of your life you want balance in?