This has been one lonnnggg week for me, so I’m overjoyed that it’s finally Friday! Do I say this every Friday? Oh well – it’s true!
This week, I’m excited to talk about prayer. I honestly feel like I want to address every aspect there is about my faith all at once, but I realize that this would turn into the world’s longest blog post ever, so I won’t. THAT would be overwhelming! But I made this a series for a reason – to address many topics over a long period of time instead of all at once. Patience, grasshoppa.
My Prayer Life
Anyway – prayer! I want to go over some really basic things about prayer, so I’m opting for Q&A style post today. I believe prayer is the foundation of faith and without it, I can’t truly have a relationship with God. Consider this a prayer survey. Enjoy!
What is prayer to you?
Communication directly with God. My time to depend on Him, speak with Him, and offer Him my whole heart. A time of confession, repentance, dependence, submission, sanctification, and unity with a Holy God. Prayer is what centers me onto God’s path instead of my own.
“For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.” – Luke 11:10
Prayer refreshes me and renews me in times of weariness. Prayer is powerful. Prayer heals what I never thought could be healed. Prayer is direly important in my life, and without it,
something my peace & hope is missing.
Prayer is my lifeline.
How do you pray?
Usually, out loud. When I pray, I like to light a candle. I actually have a designated prayer candle, just for prayer time. By lighting the candle, it helps me focus on God. I view God as the light of my world, so I like the visual & physical reminder that He is the light of the world that I see by.
Sometimes I like to pray in the form of journaling out my prayers too. This is my prayer journal & prayer candle.
When do you pray?
I always start my day with prayer and then with a Bible study devotional to follow. I like to pray first thing because it sets my day in motion in a positive way & it puts God first in my priorities.
I also pray throughout the day, usually quick shorter prayers, and usually before bed too. I also pray almost every time I drive somewhere too.
I often turn to prayer when I am… anxious, sad, overwhelmed, in pain, feeling helpless, & when I am travelling.
What do you pray about?
Anything and everything that comes to mind. I pray about a lot of things, but some common prayers are…
- to be free of anxiety, worry, fear, & insecurity
- to find my security in the Lord & nothing else (especially NOT in what I do)
- to trust in His plan for me, even when I don’t know what it is or am uncertain about it
- prayers for my husband, his faith, his work, etc.
- prayer for certain people to come to know the Lord
- prayers for strength when I feel weak, tired, or cranky
- prayer for my church community & friends
- confess sin & for the Lord to lead me away from those sins
- obedience to His will for my life
- and A LOT more! But I will end here 🙂
How have your prayers been answered lately?
* The past two weeks have been incredibly busy for me in terms of work & just life in general. Normally, I would get really cranky and freak out at all the change in my schedule. But I haven’t! The Lord has been holding me together when I feel stretched thin.
* On Wednesday I prayed for God to provide a time of rest for me and some time to work on the blog. I was unexpectedly given the day off on Thursday. AMEN! I got plenty of rest, and I’m so thankful I ended up having the day off because I actually felt kind of terrible.
“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer.” – Romans 12:12
* Wednesday, I had a dermatology appointment and got some suspicious looking moles removed. I am VERY anxious when it comes to doctor appoints or anything medical. I prayed a LOT for the Lord to ease my anxiety and for the appointment to go well. It was one of THE BEST doctor experiences I’ve ever had.
* In preparing for Marriage-Focused March (revealing the deets tomorrow!), I’ve been praying about my marriage a lot more. I already see God QUICK at work in my marriage. He has blessed conversations with my spouse, taken away parts of my pride, and led me to some amazing scripture about love.
How is your life lacking in prayer?
I definitely don’t pray as much as I want to. This is not something I’m saying out of guilt for fear of needing to sound like a “good Christian.” I truly desire to have a life of prayer – one that is rich in knowing my Savior. The more time I spend in prayer, the better off I am. But I am not always that prayerful.
My life is lacking in prayer by not praying over what I feel I really should. Sometimes I get trapped into praying only about making my problems go away instead of praying about what God desires to do in my life through me. Sometimes I realize I’m completely not praying over something that worries me or is a big part of my life.
“If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” – Matthew 21:22
An example of this is with the blog. I mentioned before that the blog was once a source of anxiety for me. Then I realized I wasn’t praying about it at all. Or in other words, I wasn’t letting God have this part of my life that HE has allowed. As soon as I started praying about what to write about, etc., He was quick to reveal what I needed to say AND He took all anxiety about it away.
Open About Prayer
Hopefully this survey has shown you what my own prayer life looks like. I truly long to be open about my prayer life in real life and on the blog. Prayer is nothing to hide. It’s the ultimate communication with the Lord. I truly believe that He hears all our prayers, no matter how “big” or “small” they may seem. I have seen God answer more prayers than I can even count!
I’d be delighted to hear about your prayer life & thoughts on prayer too! If you would like to do this survey on your own blog or answer any of the questions in the comments, here is a copy-and-paste version of the survey.
- What is prayer to you?
- How do you pray?
- When do you pray?
- What do you pray about?
- How have your prayers been answered lately?
- How is your life lacking in prayer?
Of Possible Interest