Hello! Big, big hugs and thanks for all the awesome comments on Monday’s post. Go check it out if you haven’t read it yet! I know motherhood has it’s hard days, but let these pictures be the other side to that story. These photos show the fun side of motherhood to me, the reasons it’s all worth it – her cute smiles!
I know I just posted Claire’s 7 month update about two weeks ago, but that post was super late and this one is on time! I’d like to keep the rest on time, so I’ll just go with it.
This post is going to be totally picture-happy too because I just couldn’t resist with the Christmas pics. I also feel like I’ve finally gotten a lot better at taking pictures of her (even if she hardly ever smiles). So I like to share them! I hope you like looking at her as much as I do 😉
This month, Claire…
- started crawling for real! She is doing the army crawl on her belly, lots of pulling with her arms, and she’s still working on coordinating her legs but WOW she can get around. My house is doomed. She loves getting to the tree.
- will eat ANYTHING you put in front of her. I absolutely love it. She has started to not eat something if it’s too tart for her (strawberries or other sweet things), but for the most part if I mix something else in, she’ll eat it.
- has shown a ton of separation anxiety. THE second I set her down she wails and same thing goes if I leave the room.
- cut her first two teeth! One last week at 7 months 3 weeks and one yesterday on her 8 month birthday. I am sooo thankful she is getting teeth now and not at like 12 months. Teething has been painful for sure, but we’re managing. I just hope they keep coming in.
- was baby sat by someone other than family for the first time and mommy went out to treat herself! Turns out she did fine and didn’t seem phased by my leaving or coming back!
My attempt at creating a cute Pinterest-like Christmas shot of a baby with lights…
Yeah, didn’t work out so well. And don’t worry, I took the lights away from her ASAP! I just happened to catch that on camera right before I was like “Noooo!!!!”
Also note: candy cane is still in the plastic 😉
Sleep has gotten better! It’s hit or miss these days though because of her teething. There have definitely been some times she has gotten up just from pain. Her cry is just different.
Her bedtime is 6 PM. She settles into her bedtime routine really well and putting her down is very easy. She is normally down from 6 PM to 2-3 AM lately, which is awesome. Sometimes she will get up at 10:30 or so and want to be nursed back to sleep, but usually we are getting this long stretch.
The early AM hours is what kills me. She loves to get up between 2 and 5 AM a lot. Her typical night is getting up at 2, then again at 3, and then up for the day anywhere between 4:45 and 5:30. Not fun! I have tried just letting her cry and it’s pointless because she just keeps us up. I do notice that if I feed her around 4ish, then she usually will sleep until past 6, but if she feeds at 3, then she’ll be up at 5.
Overall, I am seeing improvement and I think it’s all just in her timing. I am not pushing any type of sleep training, but just going with that she will sleep better when she’s ready.
She is definitely a happy, smiley baby a majority of the time. She knows that being put in her high chairs means she gets food, so she now bangs on the tray until food is given to her, which is kind of hilarious to me.
We have tried a sippy cup a few times and while I know she can drink from it (she has a few times), she definitely still prefers a bottle. I’m also not pushing this one either.
For clothes, she is all over the map. She is in some 3-6, mostly 6-9, and quite a bit of 12 month stuff too – even all within the same brand. I do not get baby clothes. But her clothes are some of my favorite parts of this time – I just love making her look cute (even though the cute outfits always get ruined within minutes!).
Suddenly, I look at her and see so much more a big baby or little girl forming before my eyes than a true baby. And it totally freaks me out! I want this baby phase to last forever, but at the same time I love seeing her grow. Truly, the most bittersweet of times!
I love Claire more than I ever thought I could with each passing day 🙂
Questions for You:
- How old were you for your first Christmas? Claire and I were almost the same exact age. It’s so fun to compare!
- If you have a baby or a young one to give to this Christmas, what are they getting?