Claire was 10 months old on Monday. Two more months until ONE. Crazy!
This little girl has changed soooo much since her last update. A lot happened in just the past month. The most notable things are her sleep habits (see below) and that she got sick for the first time.
We had the pleasure of experiencing our first ER visit with her – not fun! It wasn’t that dramatic, but it wasn’t that fun either. She – and eventually all of us – had a brutal stomach bug. I think she is still working her way back to normal too.
New developments as of this month include…
- officially done breastfeeding as of about a week ago. She doesn’t seem to miss it at all or realize anything is different, which I’m really glad about.
- making new sounds every day. She sounds like she speaks her own babble language. She just started making “sh” sounds and t sounds. She says mama, baba, dada, and ah da ALL day.
- started using a sippy cup! I introduced this at about 7 months or so and she had ZERO interest, so I felt a little hopeless in this area. I tried juice and water and she hates both. I know kids can be on a bottle for a long time, but if I could get her to use the sippy I wanted to. When she was sick, she was drinking her Pedalyte out of it like a pro though. So I am trying to do sippy cups during the day and save bottles for at night only.
- pulling up all by herself onto EVERYTHING. Her favorite is pulling up on the knobs on the drawers of her dresser – scary! She can also pull up in her crib all by herself now too, which I fear may cause some sleep regressing if she does that in the middle of the night, but we’ll see. She is still not crawling on her hands and knees though, just belly scootin’.
- 4th tooth is trying really hard to come in (one of her two front teeth). You can just see it big and white behind her gums but it hasn’t really come down yet.
- clearly napping less and shifting her nap times to later. She used to nap from 7:30-8:30 ish and then 12-1:30 or 2 but now she is napping more like 8-9 or sometimes even 10-12 and then somewhere between 1:30 and 4.
- seems like she has developed some eczema. She has some dry patches on her legs/knees and one spot on her belly. I think it could be because of crawling but also because it’s crazy dry here right now.
My favorite! Hah, yeah right. Well, it actually is my favorite because – I think I can say this now that it’s been consistent for a month – SHE IS SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT. It is truly a miracle.
Her routine goes something like this:
- 5:30 ish – eat dinner, usually one big container of baby food and some bits of whatever we are eating
- 5:45 ish – bath time, usually pretty quick + a bottle
- 6-6:15 – bed time. I put her in her crib with her blankie, WubbaNub, turn on her musical seahorse & sound machine and leave the room
And that’s it! I think I do hear her get up in the middle of the night but then she settles again most the time. Sometimes she will wake up hungry again at 8 or 9 so my husband usually goes in with a bottle. She wakes up at 6 or 6:15 so she’s sleeping about 12 hours a night.
And I will say I didn’t change a single thing about our routine or try anything to make this happen. She just started this about as soon as she turned 9 months old. I sure hope it sticks around!
First Birthday Thoughts
Something a little unrelated but on my mind lately has been about her first birthday, since it’s getting so close. I’ve thought about it for a while, but decided that we are not having a birthday party for her. We’ve only been in Texas a few months and haven’t really made that many friends. Most the friends we have made are single or don’t have kids too, so I don’t think they would care about a first birthday party anyway. All of our family is far away, so it’s not like we can do some kind of family thing either.
We also could be moving or getting really close to our move at that point (still not entirely sure of the when), so we may be in transition at that point anyway. At the very least, I am going to do ridiculously adorable photos of her in a tutu with a tiara and pearls – not kidding. And possibly a smash cake. And I think we will just let her have a cupcake on her birthday with us or something. And I don’t really want to get her a gift because we have so many toys as it is. Is that totally awful? I know she will never remember but because our society puts so much emphasis on first birthday parties and all this Pinterest perfect planning crap, I kind of feel like a bad mom for being totally okay with no first birthday party.
I also think I might get some serious FOMO/jealousy seeing all the first birthdays about to happen between some of y’alls babies and my friends who had babies within a few months of Claire. But I’m hoping to just be at peace with it and realize that in a few years it won’t matter and we can throw her a cool birthday party later, right?
Questions for You:
- First birthday parties: yay or nay? Thoughts?
- How many sippy cups do you have? We only have three and I feel like I need 300 more.