Happy Friday, friends! How has your week been?
I have to say, this was another challenging week for me like I said last week. I guess God really wants me to practice thankfulness in all things, huh?
What made this week particularly hard was that my husband was traveling for most of it again. While I do pretty well on my own and often crave alone time, I just do not feel right when he is gone and I am pregnant! Thankfully he returns late tonight.
I found myself – instead of taking time to really reflect with the Lord on all He has provided – rushing around trying to check things off my to do list: getting a blog post up, doing chores, planning for tomorrow. That doesn’t really leave much time to be thankful about anything except for getting into bed for me.
This week I started participating in Loving God Greatly’s “The Source of Thankfulness” Bible study. This was an interesting week to start it as I felt like I really screwed it up for a bit. Like I said, I was busy being busy, so even though I did get to my Bible study time, I was not really present for it and always felt this sense of urgency, which ruined it for me.
Finally when I sat down last night, I did the study (rushing through) and then felt like I didn’t get my “God fix.” So I turned to another Bible study I am reading. I read a chapter a few nights ago but didn’t sit down to do the actual study part, so I decided to do that then. In the study it read:
The more you are satisfied with God, the more you crave to spend time with Him. Have you ever felt as though your time with the Lord is empty and simply done as another thing to check off your never-ending chore list?
Write a prayer asking God to make your time with Him more meaningful. Ask God to give you a deep desire for Him.
Wow, did that hit me like a ton of bricks. Okay, God. You got my attention! As I journaled my prayer, God revealed to me the root of the issue. I just love when God reveals to me what I can only see when I come to Him.
In short, my issue with my prayer time is that if I wait until I get chores out-of-the-way, I fall asleep during prayer (tired preggo lady!) or never even get to it because I am putting it last. But tonight, when I tried to put it before my chores, I was rushing through it so I could get to the chores and “get things done.” Overall, I realize that I idolize busyness, action, and my desire to “get it all done.”
So what do I do about that? For weeks now, the Lord has been encouraging me to do my Bible study and quiet time with Him first thing. And I have just been making excuses or ignoring it, claiming “it doesn’t matter what time of day it gets done, as long as it gets done.” But that means I’m just treating it like a to do list item, not a “be present” event in my life. Not surprisingly, the challenge this week for the Loving God Greatly study was to wake up a half an hour earlier to do the study. Did I do that once this week? No. Will I be aiming to change that now? You bet.
Anyway! There’s my
tangent lesson for the week. Now onto what I am thankful for.
Thankfulness Week II
8. Friends – I spent the day shopping with one of my old co-workers for Christmas stuff. Then my husband and I went out to dinner with another couple who is expecting their first baby exactly a month after us. I’m so glad God sends us people to love on us and fill our lives with joy.
9. Tea & Quiet moments – clearly I need more of this. I love nothing more than taking a piping hot cup of peppermint tea in my hands as I sit and reflect and not be busy.
10. My Mom – Knowing I am becoming a mom soon myself, it has really made me reflect on my own mom. This week, I read this great article from buzz feed called 10 Things Your Mom Never Told You.
It was a pretty powerful & emotional article to me (pregnancy hormones, much?) and just made me realize my mom rocks. I’m also really thankful I have my mom around to help me become a mom! I love you!
11. That I am Loved – by my Creator & King Jesus, my adoring husband, my parents and in-laws, friends… I don’t mean this to sound like everyone loves me but that I receive so much love from so many people.
12. My Blog – this seems corny, but it’s true. I love having a place to reflect, create, be myself, connect, make friends, post goals, and so much more. As I have grown, my blog has grown, but my blog has also been one of the things to grow me, I feel.
It’s also really fun to look back. I randomly found this post of my goals for last December. I love reading stuff like that that’s almost a year old now!
13. Baby Movement! – I did give a little info on it on this week’s bumpdate, but my baby is a kickin’ away! I posted this as my update on Facebook last night.
Need I say more?
14. The Word – last night the Lord revealed all of that to me. He pointed me to great scripture. I’m always literally amazed at the Bible and it’s words when I really soak them in.
A favorite this week is Psalm 18:31 – “It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.”
Have a fantastic, restful, and refreshing weekend!
Questions for You:
- Is there something you’re struggling with now that God is trying to tell you?
- What are you thankful for this week?