I’m 5 weeks away from my marathon now, and before that, I spent 2 months half-marathon training. For the past 5 months, I’ve had to do a long run just about every Saturday! To say I spend a lot of time running seems like an understatement at times.
I started thinking about how much time I really do spend running during the week, and then it lead me to wonder, what the heck do I do or think about that whole that time? Here’s a random list of what happens on my runs, in no particular order.
1. Blow my nose. A lot. This isn’t an issue in the summer, but when it’s cold out, even a little, my nose runs like crazy. I have to take a bajillion kleenex’s with me on every run. Annoying and gross.
2. Listen to nature, not music. Most my runs are sans music these days. I got really burnt out on my workout playlist and just never made another one. Oops. I kind of like it that way, though. And ear buds always bug me/fall out/get in the way so it’s just easier without.
3. Think. About all kinds of random stuff from…
- blog post topics (this one!)
- meals I want to make during the week
- what mile I’m on
- how my feet feel (a lot lately, since I’ve been having shoe issues)
- I check out every runner’s shoes who pass me
- why I am still running, and let that fuel and empower me
- my to do list
- what I’m going to eat after I’m done
- how good my shower is going to feel (motivation people)
- how good yoga/stretching is going to feel the next day
- how much running has transformed me & how strong I am
- wonder what mile other runners are on or what they’re training for
4. Clear my mind. Instead of thinking, I can actually just not think. And just move and be. Running is literally the only time I can shut off my mind and it’s amazing.
5. Have anxiety. This seems like the most anti-running thing, but sometimes I have really bad anxiety on my runs for a short period of time.
Sometimes I start out anxious on my runs because I don’t feel “with it” yet or sometimes I get anxious about finishing the miles, the weather, how my outfit/shoes are fitting/not fitting right, or where I’m going. Or sometimes I work myself up by thinking too much so I get anxious.
Silly, I know. I’m trying to work on it and trust that I can do it. I think I’ve really been letting the enemy in here, believing that I can’t do it anymore, but that’s just not true.
6. Focus on my breathing. Especially when I have anxiety! I usually do short inhales through my nose and exhale through my mouth slightly opened to try to catch my breath, calm me down, or just enjoy breathing deeply.
7. Sprint. Sort of. I don’t really do speed training. And by don’t really, I mean, I don’t at all.But every now and then, I get adrenaline or the urge to speed it up and I’ll make it a goal to sprint to a certain object or point. Makes things interesting.
8. Pray. Lately, since I’ve had so much time on my longer runs (or rather, they take a long time), I like to use some of that time praying. I’ve always prayed on runs here and there, but now I try to make it a point to do so since I’m already thinking about a lot anyway.
I also pray to get through my run or when I need some extra energy and motivation. Always helps 🙂
Quick recap from last week. Ran a total of almost 30 miles! My most ever, and had my longest long run so far. Running was really good last week probably because more than a quarter of it was done outside!
Finally feeling springy, although this week is looking like more snow… Anyway, very solid week for running. Not for strength training, but whatever. I’ll take the running.
Tuesday – 4 miles & this legs circuit (which left me sore allll week, may have over done it?)
Wednesday – about 4.5 miles after work, outside, because it was actually warm enough. Ammmazing.
Thursday – accidentally slept in and missing my normal AM gym sesh. Did 2.5 miles after work instead, again outside. Was great and just wanted to stretch my legs.
Friday – rest day
Saturday – 18 mile long run. Went so much better than I thought it would and was better than my attempted 16 miler. Felt great all the way up until 14 miles, got a little cranky between 14-16.5, but pushed through to the finish. Feeling good about 20 next weekend!
Sunday – rest day, some light stretching
Monday – 20 minutes of yoga
I’m really thankful for a solid week last week to prep for this week since my 20-miler is this Sunday. Also, got the chance to break in the new Reebok’s this week.
They are not perfect but are a huge improvement from the Asics. A little narrower than I was expecting, but they will work until the marathon is over.
I’m preparing for another good week of higher mileage, but if I am feeling rest, I’m just going to take it so I’m ready for race day. Excited!
Questions for You:
- What do you do while running or working out?
- Favorite workout recently? I could use some new ones to add into the mix.