Happy Thursday, friends!
22 weeks & bumpin’! Part of me is like, yeah, this is going so fast. And another part is me is like, no way, another 18 weeks to go?! I am dying to meet this child of mine!
Here’s a pic from yesterday, less about the bump & more about my outfit. (Sorry about the crappy gym pic)
I got sooooo many compliments on this top yesterday. It’s very flattering and will be great to wear up until I am ready to pop. Love it! Leggings & flats have also been my go-to these days – so comfy.
So something I wanted to talk about today was that it finally dawned on me this week that I seriously miss running. At first, giving up my training plan due to exhaustion and scaling fitness back during early pregnancy was okay with me (and it still is). But this week’s Elf 4 Health challenge of running your fastest mile kind of shifted my thinking a bit.
At first, I didn’t even want to do this challenge. I mean, my “fastest” mile was going to be anything but. The speed thing doesn’t bother me as much as just how difficult running is for me period. My Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving went well while I was running it, but I felt like I was hit by a truck the next day – no joke!
Anyway, I realized a couple of reasons why I stopped running while pregnant in the first place & what is keeping me from running regularly. They are…
- I have barely any workout clothes that fit anymore. My standard running clothing (which I am picky about) does not fit. I have been wearing cotton stuff that provides no support and makes me extremely hot. Not fun
- My feet are bigger so my shoes feel tighter. It’s tough to impact on my feet when they are already sore/swollen
- The change in seasons also coincided with my lack of running, which has only perpetuated me not running. It’s dark before & after work, so my only option is the treadmill during the week, which is not appealing.
- I have to pee as soon as I start running. It doesn’t matter if I just went to the bathroom seconds before getting on the treadmill. This is so uncomfortable and I don’t think there’s anything I can really do about it.
- I am not training for anything or working towards any running-related goals. Obviously, I’m not going to be actually following a training plan right now with how running is going so far, but with NO plan whatsoever, of course my running has dwindled.
So, I’m not saying all that to complain about running during pregnancy, but just so say that I realized why running has been harder/not happening. I also realized, while running does feel harder during pregnancy because of my changed gait & heavier frame, by not running very often of course running will feel harder. The less I run, the harder it’s going to be, just like before I was pregnant. So maybe that’s a dumb realization, but it just kind of hit me like, oh yeah… It’s not all about pregnancy.
While I am still wanting to do what feels right and not push myself past what I should, I want running to make an appearance more than once every 2 weeks! Some things I think will help me get back into it again are:
- getting workout pants that fit & have good support
- signing up for a 5K or other short race
- running outside on the weekends. Doing only the treadmill is very de-motivating for me as a runner
- schedule my running instead of running when I “feel like it,” which is almost never
I hope the next couple of weeks I can break out of my running rut & build things up over time.
22 Week Bumpdate
How I’m Feeling: Better than I have in the past 2 weeks! I’ve had a spurt of energy, which I’ve used to workout more. I’ve also been sleeping pretty well too. Nothing too much to complain about over here.
Some symptoms I am having are… heartburn that is not food-related. Must just be my relaxed muscles. Minor backache most days, but exercise helps this a lot.
Weight Gain: haven’t checked since last time. I will probably only be check on this at the doctor’s visits for
Maternity Clothes: I only want to wear maternity clothes. I think I need to invest in some maternity pajama pants because all my pajamas are uncomfortable now.
Sleep: very good! I can always go to bed early, but I am not waking up exhausted in the mornings. Lots of crazy dreams too.
Fitness: It’s been going great the past week. I think I’ve found that my mind is very fuzzy and distracted, so workout videos have become my best friend to help me pay attention. I also finally did some workouts that left me feeling sore and realized I haven’t felt sore (from a workout anyway) in weeks. Hurts so good.
- Thursday: Bikini Arms video
- Friday: rest
- Saturday: rest
- Sunday: 10 minute butt video (love this one), lower body video, this arms circuit, & a 1.5 mi power walk
- Monday: 20 minutes prenatal yoga (these two videos)
- Tuesday: 20 minute incline walk & this 10 minute arms video
- Wednesday: 1 mi run & some quick arms/legs strength w/weights
I don’t know what got into me Sunday! I think I had meant to workout both Friday & Saturday but didn’t have the time, so I made up for on Sunday.
Gender: girl, girl, girl 🙂
Craving: nothing really. This is the most common question I am asked these days.
Food Aversions: notta
Missing: beer/wine, laying on my back/stomach
Movement: she’s still moving and I feel something every day, but lately she has seemed less active or maybe has just moved in a position that I can’t feel her movement as much.
Purchased for Baby: still going strong on not buying anything until after the showers, but we did get some fun stuff this week. My husband and I took a baby care class last week and with it came this pack of stuff from Gerber.
It’s all “gender neutral,” although I think it looks more like boy stuff… But I do really like the animals 🙂
Most looking forward to: spending the holiday’s and sharing my pregnancy with my in-laws soon. My baby showers! I started planning them with my mom and friend who are throwing them for me – so excited!
Questions for You:
- Runners: how did running go during pregnancy for you?
- Do you think “gender neutral” is ever really so?