Hey guys! How was your weekend?
For the first time in a long time, I feel like I actually did stuff over the weekend!
Friday was a much needed wine and pizza night. Funny story, I bought a California Pizza Kitchen frozen pizza and was like “this will be good, not too many calories but still pizza.” Well, it was really good, but then my husband and I were still craving more in the pizza department so we ordered Pizza Hut too. And not just a normal pizza. We got a buffalo chicken with cheese stuffed crust in a large. LOL. It was good but I may be on a diet after that now 😉
Saturday was our 5 year engagement anniversary and also 4 years since we got Mr. Beans! This isn’t something we normally celebrate, and honestly, I forget almost every year. But I found this gem.
From when we got engaged back in Colorado. Hubby looks the same but I feel like I look like a baby here!
Saturday was super productive for us. I did all the laundry, tidied the house, and then we went shopping for some fun Texas souvenirs before we went to dinner. We went to this Indian place that gets great reviews.
It was a buffet and we ate way too much. The chicken tikka masala – OUT of this world good! As was their naan. And I got a chai tea that was one of the best I’ve had and they gave free refills!
Side note: how is my baby this big already?
She loves sitting at the table in her high chair all by herself. She ate naan and the chicken from chicken tikka masala. She was totally in love with our server too, as she kept turning around to just stare at him.
Sunday was also productive. We went through our papers and books KonMarie style and had nachos for dinner. Anyway, onto today’s recipe!
10 Minute Mediterranean Veggie Cous Cous Salad
I made this simple salad a few nights ago for dinner. This was one of those dishes that I thought my husband might be kind of like “okay, this is way too healthy, how do you think this is going to pass for dinner?” But he loved it!
It also seriously only takes ten minutes, so I had to share.
- 1 cup whole wheat cous cous
- 1/1 cup frozen peas & carrots, thawed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
- 1 can diced tomatoes or 1 fresh tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. pine nuts
- 1 tsp. seasoning of your choice – I used Trader Joe’s 21 Season Salute blend
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cook cous cous according to package directions (usually 1 1/4 cup water to make 1 cup cooked cous cous + 1 tsp. olive oil). If you are using a cous cous that comes with a spice packet, do not use the packet. After cooking, fluff with a fork and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, bell pepper, half the can diced tomatoes, garbanzo beans, raisins, pine nuts, and peas & carrots. Mix together gently.
- In another bowl, add the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and spice blend and mix well.
- Add cous cous to veggie mixture and add the olive oil spice mixture to the cous cous blend. Mix well, coating the salad in the olive oil dressing.
- Serve immediately. Store for up to 3 days, refrigerated.
You can serve this hot or cold. I ate it hot for dinner one night and then cold for lunch the next day and both were good. This would be a great dish to take to a barbecue or have on hand for easy summer lunches.
Cous cous is one of my favorite pastas. I think it’s seriously underrated. This would also be good with the large cous cous pearls instead of the small grain one. I used to find the large ones at Trader Joe’s – oh how I miss thee!
I hope you have a great start to your week!
Questions for You:
- Did you go out to eat this weekend? Where did you go?
- What’s the most recent quick or easy dinner you’ve made?